Bipolar or something like it...

A former S.L.C. Punk, baptised and converted to a N.Y.C. Punk.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Social Unawareness


Dear Jerkface,
So you give me grief about not emailing you, and not sending you any photo's, and here it is days later, and I have not heard a peep from you. Well, whatever I guess. I will fill you in on the latest NYC tidbits. I have come to a few realizations about this place, it's funny, sometimes you think you have it all figured out, and then something will happen to make you question all the conclusions you have come to. Yes, New Yorkers are notoriously rude, and I must say there is truth in that, but what I have come to notice more and more while I reside here is that more than anything a lot of people here have no social awareness. Maybe it's that they are so consumed by the greatness of themselves that they don't realize that there are other people around them. For example, yesterday, on my lunch break I stopped in to my local Duane Reade to pick up a few items. There were four separate lines for four separate cashiers. I, being the nice Utah girl I am waited patiently for my turn, making sure not to get in anybody's way. Once I reached the register, I set my stuff on the small counter in front of me in anticipation of being rung up. All of the sudden, there is some short, middle aged women standing directly beside me, literally touching me with her body. Not only is she completely invading my personal space, she starts to set her freaking things down on the counter with my stuff! Naturally, the cashier assumes we must be together, because nobody would stand so close unless they knew you. In assuming this, she starts ringing up this idiots stuff with mine! I mean come on! What the what what? I told the cashier, "that's not mine." Her response " wha?" "That's not my stuff" Dumb lady to my left, "oh, yeah, that's mine." Okaaay. Who in the hell does that? Mind you, it is not like the automated check out lines at the grocery store, where things can more easily get mixed up. It's a tiny little counter space, where only one person at a time can fit. All I can say is, people out here need to learn that there is approximately one foot of space surrounding each person that must not be invaded, unless of course one asks for invasion.

2 Comments:

Blogger pghcitiboy said...

Cute blog. I love the "dear jerkface" postings!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Krissi said...

Thank You!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home